Little Paulas

Monday, July 16, 2018

So this new congregation I'm attending for church... remember how I was so excited about the little kids' reactions because they are always so great? Maybe I shouldn't have been so excited about it. I was asked to help teach the 6-8-year-olds. While I love kids, I haven't spent much time with them, especially extended time like this, so I'm a little nervous, even though I'm sure I'll just love them.

It's just hard because kids are active. They don't sit still, they are rarely quiet and can be very touchy. I was always more of a quiet kid myself and was always an old soul, so it's already different for me. The other thing that makes me nervous is that the older I get, the hard it is to process all of the senses simultaneously like I could before. It's not a bad thing at all, I'm seeing, hearing and experiencing things in more detail. But too many details too fast gets overwhelming. I'm going to have to start taking a fidget spinner to church just to have something to focus on and calm me down.

The final thing that makes me nervous is that maybe I don't want to have Paula show up at church after all. The thing about having an adult yell is the kids suddenly feel like they have permission to yell, too. And they are already plenty loud. This week, even without the help of Paula, they were making lots of noises that made me wonder if they had heard her before. If they actually heard Paula, chances are it will get chaotic. One Paula is enough, I don't need ten miniature versions of her running around.

At least Paula doesn't really run around...


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by boots by the backdoor