Downton Abbey

Saturday, March 16, 2024

So my husband and I have been binge watching Downton Abbey. it's such a well-written show, with well-thought out characters and so much detail in every aspect of the show. It's actually given me some great ideas for my own writing with Madamn.

However, even though we just finished season 6 (we just have the movies left), there was a quote much earlier on that is still ringing in my head. It was when Lady Mary asks Mr. Drewe to take on the pigs as a responsibility on his farm. Lady Mary says to him, "I'm afraid we've made more work for you."

To which Mr. Drewe gives a wise response: "Work is like aging m'lady. It's the worst thing in the world except for the alternative."

Now, with aging, this is a very obvious statement. Aging is awful and difficult. I've always been surrounded by a lot of old people. Their stories are part of why I love history so much. But I tell you what, it is not for the weak. It is no easy task. But compared to death, yeah, I'll take aging.

But work... what is the alternative? Not working? Funny, that seems to be what most people strive for these days. To do the least amount of work possible. 

But have you also seen the incredible spike in side effects? As a society in general, there is so much more depression, anxiety, corruption. yes, I know these aren't ALL caused by a lack of work. Some may even argue that work is the cause of many of these things. 

But when we look at the historical patterns over time, empires with the greatest amount of leisure tended to have the most corruption and shortly fell into ruin. 

And it isn't necessarily about wealth. Yes, the wealthy were fairly idle, but because they weren't doing any work, they manipulated their way into having others do more than their fair share. 

Basically I want to separate these ideas of wealth and idleness. 

I know plenty of wealthy people who work incredibly hard, pay others a fair wage, and lead happy, fulfilling lives.

And I know plenty of poor people who avoid working at all costs, living off the support and hard work of others. 

Money's not the problem.

Work ethic is.

I find I agree with Drewe. It can be the worst thing in the world to feel like I have to work full time. Especially not in my chosen career. 

But it is absolutely better than the alternative.

It's been amazing to see my life improve financially, which supports my physical, mental, and emotional health and allows me to pursue my dreams much more effectively. 

But when that day comes that I can financially survive without a full time job, you can bet there will still be plenty of work for me to do. I refuse to be idle and place any kind of burden on others without being able to pay them a fair- no, generous- wage for the work they do for me. 

And in turn, I'll be doing plenty of my own work to support others.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by boots by the backdoor