People Skills

Sunday, September 17, 2023

Hey there friend! I have had a couple of crazy weeks and I'm so grateful for all the love and support I've been shown!

It made me stop and take a step back, and I've noticed two things.

1. I am seeing a huge trend where people are becoming more and more isolated. Sometimes because of our own choices. ie: "I hate people." "I don't want to deal with people." "I'll just stay in and binge this awesome show and get my food delivered." "People stress me out."

Other times it is because of things like the recent worldwide events of 2020 and how some policies and practices have never fully disappeared.

With the current rise in AI, it makes it seem like we just don't need people anymore.

Which leads me to the next thing I learned.

2. We need people. 

We need social interaction. 

We need friends and love and support. 

I am always amazed by many benefits of simply talking to people. Don't get me wrong, it's not always an easy thing to do. Sociality takes a lot of work. Fun fact, if you had met me in high school, I was so shy that if you asked me a direct question, I still wouldn't talk to you. I would nod or shake my head. And lots and lots of blushing. From embarrassment, from fear, from shame of not knowing what to say.

Talking to people is hard and is a skill I have worked hard to learn over many, many years.

But just like any skill, I am reaping benefits for the investment. 

Not only do we have the obvious benefits of not feeling so alone in this crazy world, of feeling seen and understood, but I see myself moving more and more into the life I've always dreamed of- because of people.

If I hadn't been willing to talk to people, I would never have met some of my best friends, or mentors, or connections that have helped me develop additional skills, or people that I've been able to help or work for.

I love being able to collaborate with others, helping them achieve their dreams while also achieving mine. 

There has been a lot of that this last week. 

A lot of wonderful people doing great things and working together and everybody wins. It's a good feeling to be a part of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by boots by the backdoor