Why I Love Writing

Thursday, September 28, 2023

 You know what I love most of all about writing?

The fact that I can edit.

Since I've been married, in conversations with my husband, I've learned something about myself. I speak in a manner that can often and easily be found offensive.

I don't mean to be, ever. I simply don't think through the things I'm going to say, and my rash and impulsive manner can be considered thoughtless and rude.

It's funny, I have in the past been so OVERLY cautious about the things I want to say that I was considered a very shy, quiet kid.

Around the time Paula popped up, I started actually speaking up and became more and more talkative. I realized that I was essentially becoming a "bull in a china shop" and fully leaned into that persona. 

And for years, I have gone completely unchecked in that regard.

But here is the thing, while I don't love hearing that I need correction, and really don't love seeing how I have hurt people, it makes me all the more grateful for writing. Even more grateful that it can be changed and corrected.

I am human and I make mistakes.

As a recovering perfectionist, that still gets to me. 

Communication is a funny thing. I studied it in college and I still struggle with it, often.

But I love the discussion that follows where I can really look and see what I did wrong and how I can correct it. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to simply apologize just because someone is upset about something that I've said. 

It is a chance for me to really look more closely at what I'm saying and how I'm saying it. 

Words have power.

Use them wisely.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by boots by the backdoor