Madamn Research

Tuesday, September 5, 2023

Sometimes I am amazed at what it looks like to research novels. I thought I knew the subject matter really well going into this.

There are so many details that pop up unexpectedly. Which turns into more research. Then a bit more. Then a lot more. And just when I think I know this stuff, there's a bit more research that I need to do. 

When I started writing Madamn, I felt so confident knowing what it was like to have Tourette syndrome and figured I would just need a few simple details about the time period and that would be it. 

Until one of those things I researched was medication and techniques they would have tried to cure this unknown disorder. Turns out laudanum back then was almost a catch-all for "nervous disorders" such as this.

Problem is, often alongside Tourette syndrome comes a propensity for addiction. And laudanum, containing alcohol and opium, was highly addictive even under normal circumstances. 

I'm dealing with an addict.

And it scares me senseless. Partially because I do have a small idea of what this means. I had a brother who was an addict. (Yes, he passed, no, it wasn't the drugs). 

But what a rabbit hole I've had to dive down. Not just about addiction in general, but time period specific laudanum effects and withdrawals. I'm not about to get any first hand accounts myself, or even second hand from someone in today's day. 

This was supposed to be a simple story!

I have found some great resources, but this is just one of many tangents that happen trying to bring you a great story. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by boots by the backdoor