The Importance of a Routine

Tuesday, August 15, 2023

 I get that this might just apply to me and how my brain works, but I REALLY need routine and structure in my life. 

Last week, I was so proud of myself for all I was able to get done because I had it all down in my planner and I followed it, which yielded some amazing results. I intentionally do not structure my weekends so I have time to be bored, which is a great time for creative ideas to come. 

Today I had planned out, but circumstances have thrown me so far off course, I'm just hoping today is salvageable in some way. 

Usually I wake up early to write in my journal, go for a walk, get some study in, and then jump into my day. 

Last night (after I finished planning for today, mind you), my husband and I clarified who was taking his father to the airport for a vacation today. My FIL's flight was leaving the airport at 5:48 this morning from a town about half hour away from where I live. So my husband was worried about staying awake on the drive back and wanted an extra set of eyes to watch for deer on the road.

How could I say no to the safety of my husband?

So up at three we were after a short five hour sleep. Meaning when we got back (which is when I normally wake for the day), I was crawling into bed.

Three hours later, we woke up to discover our power was out (and had been for about three hours) and wasn't expected on until one this afternoon. 

Worried for our perishable food, we didn't dare open the fridge to prepare a normal, healthy breakfast like we usually do, and instead... we ate cookies.

It was all we could really do without opening our fridge, or having a stove to cook oatmeal. Man, I wished so much for a gas stove! 

I procrastinated showering because the water was going to be lukewarm at best. I wasn't sure if it was worth going to the office at all since we have a bunch of construction happening and the accident that took out the power was near us, too.

It was a perfect storm that led to me absolutely wasting my morning.

Point of the story is, it's almost 2PM and I'm just getting to the office trying to salvage my day. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by boots by the backdoor