Reader's Escape

Saturday, May 6, 2023

Fun story, I started hosting retreats. 

I never imagined that would be something I would do. It's been a huge learning curve, but I feel like I have finally figured things out. I started out hosting writing retreats. I held three of those, but they never really took off.

It didn't help that my very first one was in November of 2020. I had one speaker and two participants show up online, while the rest of my speakers and guests were digitally attending. Then I did one that was entirely digital that had about three attendees.

My last one was entirely in person. I had one guest attend.

To be honest, I was probably a large part of the problem. I also attended writing retreats with Richard Paul Evans at his ranch, which were far better attended and lower cost than my own. I was SUPER uncomfortable charging more with less experience. So I gave that up.

At the same time, I saw a post on social media that made me think I should switch gears rather than completely abandoning all that hard work of learning how to put on a retreat.




I mean, look at this. People were literally asking for it and no one was doing it. How could I not host a READING retreat instead of a writing one? I held the first back in March of 2022 and loved it so much I did another in September.

Twice a year was a bit much. Especially as I had also gotten married in May of 2022. As a result, these were small, but so, so great. I loved them, as did the guests.

So I am hosting just one per year, in September. It is currently 137 days away, but I have all but FIVE spots taken. 

This is by far the biggest one I have put together. I'm sure they will only continue to grow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by boots by the backdoor