I Can't Help It

Monday, June 6, 2011

So I was asking friends what to call this blog I am creating... I had a few good responses. Chosen title was simply funniest, and I happen to love movie quotes. Emperor's New Groove is simply a classic. I can't help it was also up there, because, well, that's the point of this blog. There are simply some things in my life I can't control. It's not the usual stuff, either. Sure, no one can really control all the stuff that happens around them on a day to day basis, but most people can at least control the sounds that come out of their mouth. I can't. At least not always. I have what is commonly called Tourette's Syndrome. Never heard of it? Some have, some haven't. First post should probably explain that... I make noises. I can't help it.

Doctors don't really know what causes it, or how to cure it. I am ok with that. Tourette's is classified by a vocal tick and a physical tick. They can be any kind of uncontrollable sound or action. Most people think that people with Tourette's swear. This is not always the case. Any sound will do. Some cases are more severe than others. The onset is before the age of 18, but most commonly shows up at a young age like 4 or 5. I have watched documentaries about other people with Tourette's, and most were different. It could vary anywhere from a twitch to walking in circles as they go on their merry way. Vocal ticks can be anything from phrases to swearing or any other sound.There is no pattern to when the tick will occur.

As for my personal experience with Tourette's, I shudder occasionally, as if I was cold, but I'm usually not. Not a big deal, not many even notice. It is my vocal tick, however, that has made me unique. They can be loud or soft, long or short and almost always different. I have a few friends who have taken to naming them, and it might help you understand what I mean by noises... Sometimes I sound like a squeaky toy. I sometimes sound like a pteradactyl, a mouse, a parrot, a car alarm, or a variety of other animal sounds. Sometimes it simply sounds like I got really excited and let out a squeal. Sometimes, it sounds like a bit of a grumble. This past week, I actually started a new one that sounds like the Mighty Mouse theme song... As I said, I can't control it, they just come. This blog was created to share my experience with Tourette's Syndrome, different reactions I get from people and other stories that have happened or will yet happen. It is quite an experience that keeps me and my friends on their toes. It is quite an exciting adventure! And the best part is... I can't help it. My life is just that awesome.

1 comment:

  1. I had Tourette's in elementary school. It started with quick hmmm's in class and then morphed into a compulsive need to clear my throat. They put me on a white pill off and on as symptoms manifested and as far as we can tell, it seems to have finally subsided.
    I really think its need you are sharing your experience with Tourettes with others. Ive learned that my health struggles have really helped me to be a support to others. Hopefully you will find this blog to do the same.
    Miss you dearly! The last time I heard from you you sounded fantastic! I hope everything is still going super well for you! Love you tons!

    ReplyDelete

 
site design by boots by the backdoor