Not What I Was Hoping For

Monday, July 2, 2018

Well, she finally did it! Kind of. Paula finally showed up at church. It wasn't quite what I was hoping for, but it's a step in the right direction. It didn't happen during the first-hour meeting with all the kids like I was hoping for. She showed up in the next class where there were all of nine adults who witnessed that this is a thing.

I'm thinking she must still be a little gun shy, because she even reverted back to one of my earlier tics- the simple little squeak that sounds a little like a hiccup or maybe even a sneeze.

In fact, that was pretty much the reaction that I got. I didn't even realize it had finally happened until there was a small moment of silence, followed by one man bravely acknowledging the sound with a timid, "Bless you?"

After a quick explanation, the class then continued. It wasn't until afterward that the teacher came up asking if he had handled that ok that there were any questions. He had simply said, "Oh. Cool." Which was entirely fine by me. He was so worried that it may have been insensitive and wanted to make sure there isn't something he should do differently in future classes.

People sure are great.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by boots by the backdoor