Side Quest Idea

Saturday, April 27, 2024

So I am part of a writing group that meets on Tuesday evenings. I love these ladies and have been making huge progress on Madamn thanks to their input. One piece of advice I'm constantly getting is more description. It is a first draft, so I was mostly sketching out the storyline, so that makes sense. 

But after a few rounds with the group, each chapter is getting some real depth and I'm super happy with it by them the time I'm finished. However, it's a bit slower, we've only gone over chapters one and two as well as the Prologue and Epilogue. We are currently in chapter three.

Anywho, during this week's gathering, there was a lot of discussion around Em's mother, Eulalie (pronounced OO-la-lee). I shared a bit of her back story as to why she is the way she is... and they wanted more. 

So now I have a tiny side quest going on, where I'm going to start writing a novella with Eulalie's story. She really is such a fascinating character to learn about and write. She was only ten years old during the French Revolution. She married and had children young, so I have tried to portray her with unresolved trauma and PTSD, which was also not a thing at the time, and just as misunderstood as what is now Tourette syndrome that her daughter deals with.

I don't want to make this a full series, so this will be s short little precursor. I love that the characters I am creating are getting such a response from the readers, but I have other incredible women I want to write about and lots of characters to create. But I do think this will be a fun side project to infuse some new energy in to a project that is feeling a bit stalled and dull to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by boots by the backdoor