Picking up the Slack

Monday, June 5, 2023

 This is the longest gap I've had since determining I would be more consistent writing. Because life happens. 

Story time!

I ended up taking a very last minute trip to southern Utah to see my family. Everyone was down there, including my husband. We had a great weekend playing croquet, badminton, and exploring a cave museum.

When I got packed up to go home, I took the backroads to avoid Memorial Day traffic and left at 7 AM. What I didn't consider was how high the river is due to all the extra snow this winter, the fact that it was right next to the road, or that deer generally are in that river in the morning.

I hit one that jumped from the river right in front of my car while I was going 70 miles per hour.

I wasn't even 20 miles from my parent's house. How lucky that I was so still so close to a support system!

I'm ok. All things considered, I'm doing way better than I should.

The guy behind me said it looked like a bomb went off in my car with things flying everywhere. My hood flew up and shattered the windshield, but also stopped the deer from coming through.

I was in a no-service area, but the guy behind me had a satellite phone to call highway patrol. Another gentleman had stopped who was going the opposite direction. I gave him my parents address and asked him to tell them to come get me.

My car certainly was not drivable. 

I did enjoy spending extra time with my family, even if I was incredibly sore.

But that's it. I'm sore. I have whiplash (obviously) and lots of muscle tension, but no broken bones, no cuts, no bleeding... I didn't even bruise!

I'm feeling so, so blessed to have come away so lucky. 

I feel very protected. Random fact about me, I have lost three of my four siblings. One was stillborn, one was suicide, one was murdered.

The birthday of the stillborn brother was the day before the accident.

In all of this, I could feel all of them around me. And a few other angels as well. I'm sure Ernestine was there protecting me so I could continue to work on her book (but the release date will be pushed back). 

Possibly a few others who want their books written as well. 

It was not by any means an easy experience, but seeing the miracles and feeling so close to so many has been a good reminder for me about a lot of things.






No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by boots by the backdoor