A Post NOT About Paula

Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Paula might not be very happy about a post not being all about her, but I feel this needs to be addressed.

I have some pretty awesome parents.

Some background before I chat about my parents... I do some pretty crazy things. Often. I bite off more than I can chew. I move across the ocean where they can't keep an eye on me. I often speak too quickly, without thinking. I jump fully into ideas that I don't follow through on. Not only that, ideas that I have had for years, I never act on!

Lucky for me, 2015-as rough as it was- came with a shift. I have found things that are changing my life and allowing me to finally follow through on ideas I have had for years! I am improving my health, I am reading more, singing more, learning more and becoming more healthy. I am taking control of my life. I am (trying) to pace myself and follow through in projects I am passionate about and want to follow through on. For example, my book. It will be published by June 2016! Hopefully sooner, but I want some leeway, because, life.

The best part about all of this is how lucky I am to have the parents who have always supported and encouraged me. Not always in the way I wanted. I was grounded from books for an entire summer (worst summer of my life!), because they saw that I was losing touch with the real world. I was very different from my siblings, and my parents punished (or rewarded) accordingly.

I honestly think part of the reason my Tourette Syndrome is as mild as it is was because they pushed and stretched my brain. I have always leaned to the side of book smarts, but lacked the common sense my parents had. I understand that it may not work for everyone, but my favorite theory is the Brain Balance Theory. This is a side note however, and is a story for another day.

The part that really amazes me, is with all of my crazy ideas and theories, my parents still stand behind me and support me. They may be shaking their heads, but they support and encourage. For example, I got several Christmas gifts from them this year that simply moved me to tears. It was just a book and a few little pieces of jewelry. But all with a very clear message of, "You are going to do great things." They each had a message of support and encouragement.


 Above are two bracelets, the two photos to the right are of a necklace that I have worn every day since I got it and below is a book. "Never Give Up" "Be Brave & Keep Going" "Accomplishing the Impossible" "You Are Braver Than You Believed, Stronger Than You Seem, and Smarter Than You Think."

These are just so uplilfting and perfect to keep on hand when the going gets rough. These are just the gifts for this year! My parents tell me every day how much they love me and are proud of me. I am so grateful to have such awesomely supportive parents.
 There have been many times where they have watched me fall flat on my face. I have been unsuccessful and have had my share of disappointments. They have always allowed me to make my own choices and face my own consequences. They have helped me to be strong. I can't imagine having a better set of parents.

On top of it all, as I grew older and Paula started to make appearances, they have done everything in their power to help me. At first, it was sending me to several doctors to figure out what was going on. They had to be sure it wasn't anything that was going to hurt me in any way. Then I ran away for a few years as I ran off to college and the like. During that time, Paula really developed, and she took some getting used to. However, she now gets the attention she seeks and is treated the same as if I were around my peers. They love watching the reactions of my nephews and love hearing my stories. They are excited about my book and constantly ask about it's progress. 

Yep, I'm a pretty lucky girl. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by boots by the backdoor