Professional Voice

Saturday, May 6, 2017

Seriously, most of my good stories come from work. I essentially work in a call center, but lucky me, I don't take incoming calls. I call out and make sure things are flowing smoothly. Ever notice how when you are on the phone- especially for work- you sound different? People have a "professional" voice they use when talking to strangers to make a good impression. I use mine fairly often.

The other day, Paula was doing her thing, and often. I heard Danielle, who sits across from my cubicle giggle in between instructing a new hire. At which point I asked if the newbie knew what was going on. Danielle responded that they probably didn't. We had an entire conversation around the topic of Paula without ever actually explaining what was going on.

After a while, I figured I was only fair to explain to the poor soul what was going on. So, with the voice I would have used in an A.A. Meeting (which is sometimes what it feels like when I explain I have TS. It's like it's supposed to be a confession or something), I announced, "Hi, my name is Jessica and I have Tourette Syndrome."

As soon as I had spoken, Megan leaned over asking who I was speaking to. When I responded, she was surprised. "I thought you were on the phone with a contractor!"

At this, the entire room burst into laughter. Does this mean I should start doing some kind of comedy act? Too bad I'm not that funny!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by boots by the backdoor