Changing the World

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

When I was a little girl, back in my bookworm phase (that I never really grew out of...), I loved reading about the heroes and heroines in exotic and local places. no matter where they were or what kind of book it was, they all managed to save the day and do amazing things. I wanted to do cool things. Yet all I did was read about them. I wasn't talented enough. I knew I was smart, but not that kind of smart. I wasn't brave enough.

Or so I thought. I had so many excuses. They masqueraded as anything but excuses though, that's what made them so tricky. They were my entire belief system and understanding of who I am. I didn't think I was anyone important. That thought was important because it is what helps me be humble. I wanted to be humble. You know what? Who says you can't do big things AND be humble? Ever heard of Mother Theresa? Nelson Mandela? George Washington? What about the Pope? Just a few humble people who did BIG things.

I was content to stay in a small town, living life the way I was "supposed" to live. Have I told you yet how much I loathe the word "supposed to?"

Don't get me wrong, there is NOTHING wrong with this kind of life. I still aspire to this. I want to live in a small town and raise a family. At the same time, I've learned that I can still make a BIG difference. In fact, I've seen people living the life I dreamed of AND still making a big difference.

It's amazing what technology and a global society can do. We have so much ability to reach others and be the master of our own story. I'm amazed at the things life has been throwing at me since I tried to stretch my wings just a little farther. Since trying to be just a little better.

Because here's the thing. We can leave the world the same way we found it, we can make it worse or we can make it better. I can make me better. This alone makes all the difference.

I had to stop hiding behind the very things that make me, me. I had to use those just a little bit better. I'm still learning how to do that. In the process, a few things have changed. Once I had a roommate, Laura, tell me that she always stopped to listen to what I had to say, because I rarely spoke, so when I did speak, it must be important.

I do have things to say. Now it's kind of hard to get me to stop talking. I just get so excited and passionate about things. I want to balance these two traits. My shyness and my passion. Both so important, so necessary. I can't choose just one or the other. Both have their time and place.

Recently, my friend Andy told about an incredible experience he had while reading something I had written. My initial reaction was to apologize for any pain I might have caused. I didn't even know if I had caused any- I just assumed I would have hurt someone. He then thanked me for the profound impact it had on improving his life and the steps he was taking. Truth be told, this was a few weeks ago and I'm still reeling over it. I'm still in shock.

I want to help people. I want to change lives for the better. So why am I so shocked that I actually did that? Partially because it wasn't all me. Andy is the one who actually read it and thought about things and let it change his life. My writing was just a catalyst. But what an awesome experience.

I did something good. I have the ability to change the world, one person at a time.

FYI- You can, too. Start with you.

What are you doing to change the world?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by boots by the backdoor