Taking My Own Advice

Friday, January 20, 2017

Disclaimer: This isn't directly about Paula and her antics. It's more about the things that she has taught me. I've learned a lot. A book's worth in fact. I have gotten wonderful reviews regarding the wisdom Paula has shared with me. I am a more confident person and happy with who I am and what I'm doing.

Most of the time.

There are times I need to learn to take my own advice. Some background... So I live in Salt Lake City. Having come from a small town in southern Nevada, I'm not used to several things, like the elevation, the cold air, or the inversion. For those who don't know about inversion (like I didn't til it made me sick) it's basically all the pollution and car exhaust, etc that gets trapped on the valley floor (like the part I live and work in). 

This air makes me so sick, I have taken to wearing a mask just so I can breathe properly. And I hate it. I'm embarrassed to be seen in it. I feel like I'm being judged as some kind of contaminant. I wear it as little as possible, while still maintaining health. I also feel oddly stripped of my identity. My smile is one of my best features (or so I'm told) and I am a friendly person, smiling at people. You can't see that under my mask.

I got a wake up call and a slice of humble pie this week as I've had to wear it more often and out in public. I have several people, including strangers, tell me how smart I am. One woman even stopped her car to roll down the window and tell me this. 

I've been telling myself the wrong story. I need to take my own advice and not be ashamed of the things I need in my life to keep me healthy and sane. I need to remember that this is a good thing for me, and even inspiring others. A woman at work wore a mask the other day, too. I'm officially a trend setter trying to take care of my health in the icky Salt Lake City air during the winter.

Plus, it keeps my face warm.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by boots by the backdoor