Once Upon A Time

Tuesday, April 4, 2017

People have been asking me stories about Paula again, so I figured I would share an older story from before the blog started. The very first time Paula appeared, it was just a little noise. It sounded like a hiccup. Thankfully, it didn't feel like a hiccup. Hiccups hurt. This didn't.

When it appeared, I was at work at our local public library. I was seventeen years old and a senior in high school. Not only was I working part-time at our local library, but I was taking 9 classes (our high school offered 8...), was heavily involved in the music program as a singer and playing the violin, on a council for my church and was in a local choir. This was the busiest I had ever been in my entire life and I loved it! Come to think of it, things haven't changed much since then...

I had been in the back room, made the noise and thought how awkward it was going to be to have the hiccups in a quiet place like the library. I was pleasantly surprised it was just the one, and I continued the day without incident.

The next day, I did it again. However, this time, I was at the front desk. There were no patrons around, but my co-workers thought it was quite adorable. Again, it was just the one, and the rest of the day passed without much fanfare.

The following day, when it happened again, it appeared twice. Day after day, they continued to come more frequently, and usually when I was working. Although I did this on my days off as well. They just weren't as frequent. Considering all my many other activities, this was rather unusual.

The noises started to become so frequent, my co-workers started COUNTING how many I would do in my 3-4 hour shift. The days they counted, it became more frequent than days they didn't. Either way, they came every day. But Paula has been an attention hog from the beginning...

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by boots by the backdoor