Talent Show

Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Paula has really outdone herself this time. This is now my new favorite Paula story, and I'm still laughing. When it happened, I was laughing so hard I was literally crying. And I haven't done that for a long time.

First, a little background. In my church, we have wards and 5-16 wards create a stake. In the US, a stake must have a minimum of 3,000 people. So stakes are fairly large. Keep in mind that while attendance is rarely 100%, especially for things held on a Monday night, there were a LOT of people at this stake talent show. For time purposes, most wards will do a ward talent show and pick the best act to send to the stake talent show.

There were two MC's filling time in between acts: Nate and Natalie. After the first act, Nate told one of his most embarrassing moments and had everyone in stitches. A few acts later, Natalie asks Nate why he's not in the talent show. "I didn't make the cut." He had sung a mash up of a few random songs. Natalie asked what other talents he had, trying to find one that might have made the cut, also pulling out her knowledge of Nate and his tricks. Nate denied having any other talents until Natalie pointed out he can sound like Kronk from Emporer's New Groove.

Now anyone who knows me, knows I am a huge fan of this movie. Especially when Kronk speaks squirrel. Because squeaks. Right? Here is where it gets fun. Nate said he needed Natalie to make the squirrel noises if he was going to do his Kronk impression. she was in the process of declining when guess who showed up. In all her loud squeaky glory.

Nate's eyes instantly lit up and he started to walk towards me. Genius that I am, I was sitting in the third row. Bad things happen when I sit up front. Nate was all excited about having a volunteer, and I start laughing. He looks at me expectantly as I bring my hand across my throat until I finally manage to breathe out, "I can't!"

At this point, he thinks I am being shy and he holds the microphone out to me before bringing it back, since Paula obviously doesn't need it. Tears start to flow as he continues trying to encourage me, until I compose myself long enough to spit out, "I have Tourette's."

"Oh."

He got super embarrassed. He then asked me if he could explain what happened since no one could hear me without the microphone that he had. After explaining the interaction, Natalie then decided to jump in, "Well, now you have an embarrassing moment for next year."

Part of the reason that this is now my favorite was what happened after. I was backstage getting ready for when I got to go on stage to perform. He stopped me as I walking past and gave me a high five, telling me I was the coolest human he knows. While I don't know Nate well, I do know the crowd he hangs out with and he knows some pretty cool people.

Not only that, but his dad happens to be the Stake President. And I know him and his wife pretty well. They know Paula and exactly what had happened. First Nate's mom, then his dad, individually gave me large hugs and exclaimed, "I love what you did to Nate."

Paula happened to make herself (and by default- me) an instant celebrity in the stake. It gave me a great laugh. I also loved hearing all the reactions of those who knew Paula and what they were thinking as it played out. This story drew itself out the entire evening. It was one of the best stories Paula has ever given me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by boots by the backdoor